Monday, December 15, 2008

Leading up to a marathon

April 2008
My pants are tight. My post-baby “fat” pants, my largest pair, are too tight. I AM NOT going to buy a new wardrobe. I know the shotgun approach to fitness does not work for me. I haven’t actually worked out since before Joel was born in 2005. What to do??? I bought new pants, but only two pair.

May 2008
My friends at co-workers have returned from Apartment Life’s annual staff retreat. I wasn’t able to attend. They are all excited about running a marathon. Apparently this was some sort of challenge during the retreat, to increase your PQ (physical quotient) along with your SQ (spiritual quotient). They want me to run too. I told them I need a week to think about it.

June 3, 2008
I’ve been thinking about the marathon challenge. I subscribed to Runner’s World magazine and talked to a friend at church who is a tri-athlete. I mentioned my plans to my doctor today and he looked at me like I was crazy. “That’s one way to get in shape, but I’ll never run a marathon.” “Why,” I ask? He tells me it sounds like too much work to him. “Is it dangerous?” I have to ask. “As long as you are not pregnant, and you train well, you should be okay.”

That’s it. I have a competitive spirit. Too much work, huh? Watch me! Oh, so you all are going to run a marathon together? Okay, I can run too!

June 5, 2008
I took the kids to the gym today and ran on the treadmill. After a little reading I decided that the treadmill was the place for me to start. I can monitor my time and distance to get an idea of how I’m running now. I’ll need to set goals. To my surprise, it was very difficult to run for even two minutes. Two Minutes! I knew that I was in bad shape, but really, two minutes? Oh, well. My plan is to run two minutes, walk to minutes repeating until I’m tired. Next week, I’ll run three minutes, walk two minutes.

July 2008
Run ten minutes, walk two minutes! I’m up to a five mile run! I stop counting minutes and start counting miles. Yeah!

August 2008
I’ve been pregnant and now I’m miscarrying. I haven’t run in weeks. I’m tossing in the towel. There is no way I can train for a marathon in less than 4 months. Maybe next year.

Sept 2008
They talked me into sticking it out. The miles came back faster than I thought. I’m up to ten mile runs by October 1st. My parent’s bought me a double jogging stroller for my birthday. Nice. It’s hard work, but nice to run away from the treadmill.

Nov 2008
My first 20 mile run. It hurt so bad! Thank God for all the helpful info I’ve learned from Runner’s World and other experienced runners in my circles of friends and co-workers. I have one more 20 miler in my training schedule before the race on Dec. 14th.

December 13, 2008
Arrived in Dallas with my mother today. Emily Alexander is hosting us and she is wonderful! The expo was interesting. So many real runners! I feel like a pretender. At the same time, it was a little surreal to pick up my packet, to see the race bib with my name on it. I signed members of my family up to receive text messages of my progress during the race. We have timing tags to wear on our shoes that send the info.

Dinner with the Apt Life staff was nice. Again, many new faces, but everyone is wonderful and encouraging. Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment